Monday, March 4, 2013

From the Mouths of Babes

Explaining adoption to children has its challenges! Ever since we talked to our kids about it, they've been bickering about what they hope for....my daughter wants a sister and naturally, my son wants a brother. Why wouldn't they? They already have the opposite.

 My sweet almost 5 year old son adamantly told me he does NOT like little girls. I pointed out that this is completely untrue....he has lots of little girls that he loves to play with. After a little prodding, I uncovered the truth....there is one little girl in particular he doesn't like and he doesn't want to run the risk of a sister because what if she turns out like this girl?

A few days ago he came to me all excited and said "Mommy!! I have a GREAT idea!! We can adopt baby Maddie!!" (This happens to be the daughter of one of my dearest friends!)

 "Well, buddy, Maddie already has a family, silly! We can't adopt her!!"

He wrinkled up his nose and said "Ah shoot! I was trying to be nice to sis and say we could get a girl, but Maddie is the only baby girl I like!!"

So I explained to him that we would be adopting a baby from an orphanage that does not have a family. He said "Did you get me from one of those?"

"No, silly, you grew in my belly and then you lived in this house with this family ever since you were born!!"

Of course the next logical question...."How in the world did I get in your belly??"

Thankfully, he's 4.

"God knew I'd need a little boy just like you so he put you in there and made you grow till just the right time."

"Oh. Can I have a snack?"

And that was that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment